Forums The Vibe Chat My awakening

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 507 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1270571
    The Psyentist
    Participant

    This isn’t even the religion thread lol

    #1270612
    MR207
    Participant

    @DeezNuts 537854 wrote:

    Why? I can accept it, that’s the thing. Do you believe in religion because you are scared of death? It seems that that is why a lot of people do and then they delude themselves even further.

    I’m really sorry that you’ve been brainwashed the way you have, religion seems to make the majority of believers narrowminded.

    Not at all, death is still painful. There are other reasons why people believe in the afterlife.

    I haven’t been brainwashed, I’ve actually been brought up with morals and values. You’re calling me narrowminded?

    #1270286
    barrettone
    Participant

    @MR207 537851 wrote:

    I’m really sorry that you believe that

    Why? Life can be super beautiful. There’s so much amazing stuff on the Earth. Yeah there’s a bunch of shit too but without bad there can be no good. Either way, I think it’s better to live fully in this life than to hold out on the promise of something that comes next. I also believe an if omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving being exists, he is not insecure enough to punish me for not caring whether or not he exists.

    #1270699
    Deez
    Participant

    @MR207 537857 wrote:

    Not at all, death is still painful. There are other reasons why people believe in the afterlife.

    I haven’t been brainwashed, I’ve actually been brought up with morals and values. You’re calling me narrowminded?

    Of course death isn’t painful, I won’t even be conscious to experience it. The act of dying could be, but I don’t know how i’m going to die so I can’t comment.

    To be honest yes I am, not for what you’ve stated here but you’ve also said homosexuality is wrong/unnatural (when it is actually.. natural. It happens in animals too, I have a gay dog LOL).

    #1270572
    The Psyentist
    Participant

    @DeezNuts 537859 wrote:

    I have a gay dog LOL).

    I think the debate just lost a bit of its seriousness

    #1270509
    Izbeckistan
    Participant

    Scientists recognise evolution and use it towards their studies in all sorts of fields.
    All the facts we have about our planet intricatly fit together to give us proof of evolution. Not just by looking at fossils but rocks and the earths movements, psychology, ecosystems, microbiology..I could go on.
    Look around you everything is imperminent.
    Verry small changes over time creat big change. Look at your smart phone…its hard to believe that evolved from computers that once took up entire rooms.

    We use our collective knowlege to form ‘facts’ I certainly don’t think its impossible we have a creator that could of caused the big bang but I mean loads of religions are now accepting evolution. If you shrug of evolution you are really holding back all of science as all these little facts fit together and support one another (ever heard of the dark ages?)

    #1270680
    pyross.
    Participant

    Believing in a higher power (be it God(s) or other spiritual beings) is fine and I have no problem with it, it’s just fixations with a certain religion and its teachings that I find problematic.

    Imagine there is a very religious person who has a dying relative who is currently in the hospital being looked after by an atheist doctor, and then after months of pain the patient fully recovers and will no longer die, who is responsible for the patient making this recovery – the religious person and their endless praying to a God or the doctor who was an atheist who spent endless hours trying to find whatever he could to heal this person? It doesn’t matter. Each has their own beliefs and there is no conflict

    People who are fixated in a belief of either religion or science can be just as good or bad as each other at saying or doing things that are insensitive to others beliefs, but there are circumstances where we have to have a debate about ethics & morals for example the story of a young boy who refused a blood transfusion in hospital due to his religious beliefs and therefore died only because of the teachings of his parents.

    I dunno, science and religion are essentially based on the same questions (Why am I here? Where do we come from? Where will we go? etc.), I just think that with rationality, empathy & common sense they can co-exist.

    Each to their own though.

    #1270613
    MR207
    Participant

    @barrettone 537858 wrote:

    Why? Life can be super beautiful. There’s so much amazing stuff on the Earth. Yeah there’s a bunch of shit too but without bad there can be no good. Either way, I think it’s better to live fully in this life than to hold out on the promise of something that comes next. I also believe an if omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving being exists, he is not insecure enough to punish me for not caring whether or not he exists.

    I never said I was holding out on the afterlife. I agree with you though. Obviously I believe in enjoying every last second on this earth, given so little time. I’m just sorry that people believe in just getting buried and having no remembrance of a beautiful life on Earth, just dying and being numb. It’s really sad, and like I said, death will still be painful, I know that. I know that the time I am given right now is precious and I’ll do anything to use it wisely.

    #1270614
    MR207
    Participant

    @barrettone 537858 wrote:

    Why? Life can be super beautiful. There’s so much amazing stuff on the Earth. Yeah there’s a bunch of shit too but without bad there can be no good. Either way, I think it’s better to live fully in this life than to hold out on the promise of something that comes next. I also believe an if omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving being exists, he is not insecure enough to punish me for not caring whether or not he exists.

    I never said I was holding out on the afterlife. I agree with you though. Obviously I believe in enjoying every last second on this earth, given so little time. I’m just sorry that people believe in just getting buried and having no remembrance of a beautiful life on Earth, just dying and being numb. It’s really sad, and like I said, death will still be painful, I know that. I know that the time I am given right now is precious and I’ll do anything to use it wisely.

    #1270573
    The Psyentist
    Participant

    @The Psyentist 537853 wrote:

    OK, interesting question here. Who do you believe he punishes more; none believers or followers of a different/wrong faith? Is worshipping an idle god worse than not worshipping?

    Please don’t overlook this question even though this is a bit of a barraging free for all lol

    #1270615
    MR207
    Participant

    @The Psyentist 537860 wrote:

    I think the debate just lost a bit of its seriousness

    I know, I laughed. I’m sorry Deeznuts haha I couldn’t help it, I’m sorry if I offended you

    #1270700
    Deez
    Participant

    @pyɔross. 537862 wrote:

    I dunno, science and religion are essentially based on the same questions (Why am I here? Where do we come from? Where will we go? etc.), I just think that with rationality, empathy & common sense they can co-exist.

    But Science is based on factual evidence rather then blind faith and it is constantly changing and evolving as new evidence is presented. Religion is based on outdated ways of thinking and teachings that don’t evolve.

    @MR207 537863 wrote:

    I never said I was holding out on the afterlife. I agree with you though. Obviously I believe in enjoying every last second on this earth, given so little time. I’m just sorry that people believe in just getting buried and having no remembrance of a beautiful life on Earth, just dying and being numb. It’s really sad, and like I said, death will still be painful, I know that. I know that the time I am given right now is precious and I’ll do anything to use it wisely.

    Why is that sad? I still would have had a fucking kick ass time and ensured that many others had too, that is good enough for me.

    Eventually there will be hundreds of trillions of people in heaven… how big is it?

    #1270616
    MR207
    Participant

    @DeezNuts 537867 wrote:

    Why is that sad? I still would have had a fucking kick ass time and ensured that many others had too, that is good enough for me.

    Eventually there will be hundreds of trillions of people in heaven… how big is it?

    I don’t know.. I’m not God lol, it’s supposed to be unimaginable.

    #1270287
    barrettone
    Participant

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]84196[/ATTACH]

    #1270510
    Izbeckistan
    Participant

    @barrettone 537858 wrote:

    Why? Life can be super beautiful. There’s so much amazing stuff on the Earth. Yeah there’s a bunch of shit too but without bad there can be no good. Either way, I think it’s better to live fully in this life than to hold out on the promise of something that comes next. I also believe an if omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving being exists, he is not insecure enough to punish me for not caring whether or not he exists.

    Yes the God discribed in the Bible sounds really fucking horid. (oh you know…the whole having to accept jesus to be your saviour to get in)
    I dont want to go to ‘his’ afterlife. Definitely not Allahs.

    #1270681
    pyross.
    Participant

    @DeezNuts 537867 wrote:

    But Science is based on factual evidence rather then blind faith and it is constantly changing and evolving as new evidence is presented. Religion is based on outdated ways of thinking and teachings that don’t evolve.

    That’s where rationality & common sense needs to be applied to religion rather than believing what you’re told to without question.

    #1270574
    The Psyentist
    Participant

    Why do we have to be so arrogant as to fabricate answers when we have no physical evidence to support it?

    Why as species can’t we accept we don’t have all the answers and probably never will. Isn’t the mystery what sometimes makes it beautiful?

    #1270701
    Deez
    Participant

    @barrettone 537869 wrote:

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]84196[/ATTACH]

    Carl Sagan.. true inspiration and legend for sure. I still need to read Cosmos, but it is definitely something I am going to do come the end of this year i’m determined.

    #1270702
    Deez
    Participant

    @pyɔross. 537871 wrote:

    That’s where rationality & common sense needs to be applied to religion rather than believing what you’re told to without question.

    But that’s what religion is.. blind faith. That’s what religious people use to justify following something blindly.. just having ‘faith’..

    #1270617
    MR207
    Participant

    I think that we can live without facts. Who the hell cares about rationality, I’m not a rational person and I seem to get by just fine. I have by beliefs and a lot of what I live on is faith. I have experienced many miracles, and honestly, to go through life just looking at the facts and not going on instinct seems extremely boring and safe. How can anybody live like that. I guess you can stay alive but you certainly can’t LIVE in my opinion. The mystery isn’t in whether I’m unsure of what’s going to happen to me when I die, but in life itself and not having to KNOW everything before I take the first step.

    “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

    #1270288
    barrettone
    Participant

    @MR207 537876 wrote:

    I think that we can live without facts. Who the hell cares about rationality, I’m not a rational person and I seem to get by just fine. I have by beliefs and a lot of what I live on is faith. I have experienced many miracles, and honestly, to go through life just looking at the facts and not going on instinct seems extremely boring and safe. How can anybody live like that. I guess you can stay alive but you certainly can’t LIVE in my opinion. The mystery isn’t in whether I’m unsure of what’s going to happen to me when I die, but in life itself and not having to KNOW everything before I take the first step.

    “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Just because you live with facts doesn’t mean you can’t take risks. You just take more calculated risks with a greater chance of payoff instead of blindly running into things. “We can live without facts” is a bit err…wishful? Without facts we wouldn’t even be having this discussion because there would be no computers or internet for us to do so. Reality doesn’t care if you believe in it or not, but I like my views on nature to be based on that which can be independently verified by anyone.

    #1270511
    Izbeckistan
    Participant

    @MR207 537876 wrote:

    I think that we can live without facts. Who the hell cares about rationallity

    Umm they had times like this and it was called the christian dark ages.
    Humanity was unproductive and war , desease and famine where prominant.
    We seak facts to solve problems. We learn, we grow and we improve.
    We create medicine and we save lives. We observe society and we pin point the problems that lead suffering.

    #1270415
    Savvydravvy
    Participant

    Id never even thought ’til seeing this thread, of the point that heaven must be pretty big to accomodoate trillions of dead humans!!!! But i guess if you start questioning it, then you could talk about Where its situated? What is the ground in Heaven made up of? Are you put near your dead relatives and friends or at random then have to spend ages walking through trillions of people to find them? That could be annoying!

    I try and just ask questions and plant seeds to anyone who believes in structured religion rather than make a bold sweeping statement that they are wrong because, well, they might not be!

    #1270703
    Deez
    Participant

    @Savvydravvy 537884 wrote:

    Id never even thought ’til seeing this thread, of the point that heaven must be pretty big to accomodoate trillions of dead humans!!!! But i guess if you start questioning it, then you could talk about Where its situated? What is the ground in Heaven made up of? Are you put near your dead relatives and friends or at random then have to spend ages walking through trillions of people to find them? That could be annoying!

    I try and just ask questions and plant seeds to anyone who believes in structured religion rather than make a bold sweeping statement that they are wrong because, well, they might not be!

    Yup.. how do you get about, are there trains running? Do we need to buy a bloody oyster card?

    What happens if you become a mass murdering paedophile whilst in heaven?

    #1270618
    MR207
    Participant

    @Savvydravvy 537884 wrote:

    Id never even thought ’til seeing this thread, of the point that heaven must be pretty big to accomodoate trillions of dead humans!!!! But i guess if you start questioning it, then you could talk about Where its situated? What is the ground in Heaven made up of? Are you put near your dead relatives and friends or at random then have to spend ages walking through trillions of people to find them? That could be annoying!

    I try and just ask questions and plant seeds to anyone who believes in structured religion rather than make a bold sweeping statement that they are wrong because, well, they might not be!

    It’s situated in the SKY lol

    way to make fun of the situation!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 507 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Vibe Chat My awakening