Forums The Vibe Chat future of vinyl records on the dance music scene?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1040199
    AvatarGeneral Lighting
    Moderator

    how long will vinyl remain a major part of the electronic dance music scene?

    Although its still popular its production costs have become way more expensive than CD – Anyone can duplicate CD’s in quantity but increasingly vinyl pressing is becoming a niche industry with a premium price

    I understand the aesthetic appeal of it and it seemingly remains popular on the drum and bass scene but I’ve noticed psy-trance DJ’s for some years have used on CD, and now increasingly UK Hardcore/Freeform DJ’s are following suit… I know loads who play from CD’s now which surprised me…

    personally I still like vinyl but I think market forces are starting to take over and it may end up becoming a niche thing for those classical music buffs who will spend a grand on a single belt drive turntable which looks like a UFO…

    what do you all think?

    #1097253
    AvatarBioTech
    Participant

    I will always prefer vinyl. I’m gutted how things are going.

    I think it’s just a romantic thing more than anything else because despite how much I run on about sound quality I know deep down that a decent wav file is better than vinyl… of course it is, as it is more often than not the original format of the tune. The only time I’ve heard amazing quality is when the whole process is analogue and that is VERY rare in dance music as even if you use all analogue synths etc you will usually hit a digital conversion somewhere along the line between recording the tune and pressing it.

    Also, digital media (cd’s/mp3’s [v high quality ones]) can be saved and duplicated so you don’t have to worry about damaging or losing your tunes. They save space and they make it much easier for playing your own productions. Over time there will be a lot more “fx on the fly” possibilities for live dj’s using digital media. Not to mention they save your back. I don’t think I’ll ever recover from dragging around record bags and boxes for most of my youth.

    Strange how nothing comes close (IMO) to the buzz of getting new vinyl. Either getting it from a record shop and having big slabs given to you to listen through or ordering online. It’s like a drug.

    The fact that they are crackly, prone to damage, heavy and unpractical makes them even more appealing to me for some odd reason. The sound is coloured in both the pressing stages and the sound reproductions stages and gives it that warm feeling of energy.

    That rare tune that you seek out for years and finally lay your hands is not the same with digital stuff because it’s so much easier to get hold of.

    Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever look at a pile of sterile cdr’s with felt pen labels the same way as I do my vinyl.

    Of course then there is the whole problem with digital media destroying the idependant labels and artists because it’s so easy to share and pirate, but I’ve covered that many times before so I wont go in to it.

    In answer to your question though, I give vinyl another 3-5 years before the final major UK pressing plant closes doors and the vinyl market will be left to purists and underground labels who will buy vinyl at a higher price from plants that churn out smaller press runs.

    😥

    #1097257
    AvatarquietRIOT
    Participant

    i love to see dj s spin vinyl…stead of pressing a few buttons ….i love the sound of it vinyl …but when it is in a room full of people obviously you cant tell what the tunes are played on …Save the vinyl…raaa.

    #1097258
    AvatarquietRIOT
    Participant
    BioTech wrote:
    I will always prefer vinyl. I’m gutted how things are going.

    I think it’s just a romantic thing more than anything else because despite how much I run on about sound quality I know deep down that a decent wav file is better than vinyl… of course it is, as it is more often than not the original format of the tune. The only time I’ve heard amazing quality is when the whole process is analogue and that is VERY rare in dance music as even if you use all analogue synths etc you will usually hit a digital conversion somewhere along the line between recording the tune and pressing it.

    Also, digital media (cd’s/mp3’s [v high quality ones]) can be saved and duplicated so you don’t have to worry about damaging or losing your tunes. They save space and they make it much easier for playing your own productions. Over time there will be a lot more “fx on the fly” possibilities for live dj’s using digital media. Not to mention they save your back. I don’t think I’ll ever recover from dragging around record bags and boxes for most of my youth.

    Strange how nothing comes close (IMO) to the buzz of getting new vinyl. Either getting it from a record shop and having big slabs given to you to listen through or ordering online. It’s like a drug.

    The fact that they are crackly, prone to damage, heavy and unpractical makes them even more appealing to me for some odd reason. The sound is coloured in both the pressing stages and the sound reproductions stages and gives it that warm feeling of energy.

    That rare tune that you seek out for years and finally lay your hands is not the same with digital stuff because it’s so much easier to get hold of.

    Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever look at a pile of sterile cdr’s with felt pen labels the same way as I do my vinyl.

    Of course then there is the whole problem with digital media destroying the idependant labels and artists because it’s so easy to share and pirate, but I’ve covered that many times before so I wont go in to it.

    In answer to your question though, I give vinyl another 3-5 years before the final major UK pressing plant closes doors and the vinyl market will be left to purists and underground labels who will buy vinyl at a higher price from plants that churn out smaller press runs.

    😥

    :love: i love that piece you ve wrote so very true …x.x. respect

    #1097260
    AvatarTek Offensive
    Participant

    cd’s lack the feel you get with vinyl.

    and i agree with what biotech said about the exitement of buyin new tunes.

    i hope vinyl never dies, i’d hate to have to spend fuck loads on summit like this to get my tunes onto record.


    MR34618 – VESTAX VRX 2000 VINYL CUTTING MACHINE

    Selling Price: £8,500.00 EACH

    #1097250
    AvatarGeneral Lighting
    Moderator
    Tek Offensive wrote:
    cd’s lack the feel you get with vinyl.

    and i agree with what biotech said about the exitement of buyin new tunes.

    true. Downloading music to me is like doing yet another file backup/data transfer which I do all the time at work….

    there’s definitely a magic about vinyl and another sad thing IMO is the demise of the traditional independent record shop with everything going online…

    I don’t think vinyl will disappear but the prices of records may increase yet again and it may become a luxury thing for those people with time and money who can afford still to buy it like people now collect old radios etc

    #1097271
    AvatarAnarkismo
    Participant

    Vinyl still remains the best format of music and it probably always will be.

    #1097254
    Avatarelretardo87
    Participant

    Vinyl has character. Every scratch in your copy of a record is unique.

    Makes it far more special than your average cd, I mean I have a copy of captain beaky and his band that I shot with a BB gun, now it skips in just the right way that it makes a hardtekky bassline….doubt anyone else has got that goin on.

    #1097256
    AvatarSignal Jammer
    Participant

    I’m stuck on this one at the moment…

    I absolutely love vinyl, don’t get me wrong and have been buying dance/electronic music since 1987 and wouldn’t change my collection for anything. But as a DJ I have been asking my self questions over the last year or so – at the end of the day mixing records to create a soundscape is why I have always DJ’d but the more I go out and see my favorite artists play, the more amazed I am at the sound coming out of the speakers and the majority of the time it is due to them using digital media. Not so much CD’s but wave files in Traktor/Ableton etc. So from a perspective of creating the best sound I can my thoughts have been going over to the dark side of digital :groucho:

    The technology has moved forward so much that you just can’t fuck up the sound with vinyl as you can with digital files. And if you want the most amalgamated sound then I can’t see anyway forwards but digital (I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE SAYING THAT!!!!) Layering different parts of tracks and adding effects like VST’s to specific parts is unheard of with vinyl. It is a really difficult thing for me to make a decision on so maybe there will always be a place for vinyl with digital media by its side, but with oil prices going up and so the cost of buying vinyl, this adds another dimension to the argument (tunes are a lot cheaper digitally and you only need buy the one tune rather than sometimes paying for 3 others you dont like). And on top of that record shops are nearly exitinct, Smallfish was probably the best last shop to close in London late last year and was a tragedy. Now we facelessly buy online, know staff spotter to help you pick out stuff or say whats on promo and under the shelf. The whole feel of spending days in a shop trailing through the wax…I could stay in there for weeks on end and i’m gutted its gone but it will have to move on at somepoint maybe depending what you your self want from it.

    Yes the feel will be lost from the mixing, yes that analogue sound of needle to record will be lost but the end product is far beyond anything that can be done with decks….or am I wrong?:bad_idea:

    #1097272
    AvatarRuff Beat Provider
    Participant

    i hope vinyls never go
    for some rason i jusy cant take people on cd decks seriously. i hat ewhen you see someone tapping a bpm counter to beatmatch the tunes.

    #1097263
    Avatarnoname
    Participant

    Use both (pair of decks, and a CDJ)…

    The demise of vinyl has been regularly reported since about 1985 or so (when CD’s started to become really popular). Every new technology has caused the predictions to recur (minidisks, mp3’s etc etc).

    The reports of it’s demise are exaggerated….:wink:

    Making electronic music has changed in ways that those of us who used the older technologies couldn’t have dreamed of at the time.

    Playing it back in a club/party is still essentially the same however… The manufacturers of CD decks go to extreme lengths to recreate the feel, and effects that are easy with vinyl, but they will always be easier with vinyl (and if it ain’t broke, why fix it?)

    You can do stuff with CDJ’s that you can’t do with vinyl too, but that doesn’t mean you have to replace one with the other – and there is still a huge amount of stuff that as a DJ you can do only with vinyl (which is why many scratch/ DnB/ Hip Hop DJ’s won’t even entertain CD’s)…

    Just because one is old tech, and the other is new doesn’t mean they won’t co-exist (and from the point of view of artistic expression, lots of media is always better than a few)…

    #1097247
    AvatarAnonymous

    Its all I use and buy I aint changin from vinal.

    #1097268
    AvatarShit Robot
    Participant

    Ive been using wavs/mp3s for a year or so now and whilst there are definately advantages I wouldnt say the format is either better or worse than vinyl just different.
    I also agree with much that both Biotech and Signal jammer have said,one place where vinyl definately has it over sound files is you can look at a label or a cover and make a mental assosiation with what is on said piece of vinyl,all you have with sound files is a name,I for one am forever losing/forgetting what sound file is what without actually playing it.

    #1097265
    Avatar2old4this
    Participant
    BioTech wrote:
    I will always prefer vinyl. I’m gutted how things are going.

    . . .

    Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever look at a pile of sterile cdr’s with felt pen labels the same way as I do my vinyl.

    I FEEEEEl what you’re saying! I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to my vinyl. Nothing quite like the authentic sound of needle touching down on vinyl, hearing that crackle lol. Luvvit! Also, the ‘hands-on’ approach does it for me, directly attending to the mix myself means alot to me.

    And when it all comes together . . . . NOT A DRUG IN THE WORLD CAN TOUCH THAT BUZZ!
    :love: :love: :love: raaa raaa raaa :satisfied :satisfied :satisfied :group_hug :group_hug :group_hug :group_hug :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: 😎 😎 😎 :wave: – OOPS! soz got carried away there for a mo . . .

    *slaps self across face and gets at least one foot back on planet earth!

    #1097266
    Avatar2old4this
    Participant
    Ruff Beat Provider wrote:
    i hope vinyls never go
    for some rason i jusy cant take people on cd decks seriously. i hat ewhen you see someone tapping a bpm counter to beatmatch the tunes.

    yup, u know it :groucho: glad i’m not alone on that one!

    #1097259
    AvatarquietRIOT
    Participant

    you are so not alone there…:crazy_dru

    #1097255
    Avatartitch
    Participant

    Vinyl Sounds better than CDs

    Proof !!

    [yt]g5dCMz4gKLI[/yt]

    #1097267
    AvatarTank Girl
    Participant
    titch wrote:
    Vinyl Sounds better than CDs

    Proof !!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dCMz4gKLI

    😉

    #1097269
    AvatarShit Robot
    Participant

    :laugh_at::laugh_at::laugh_at::laugh_at:

    #1097251
    AvatarGeneral Lighting
    Moderator

    a few months ago I saw a Tinchy Stryder video and the DJ was using CDJ’s… also since I posted this 3 years ago there has been an massive economic downturn and a further decline in the revenue of the underground music industry (ironically because digital formats make stuff easier to pirate!)

    #1097248
    AvatarAnonymous

    I still hear the ‘”Keep it vinyl, Thats final” mantra being used alot these days not only by bedroom DJ’s but also certain small time club DJ’s,
    And like others have mentioned, there is not much of a thrill gained from downloading all your new music from an online source,
    I have respect for that and its good to know that people are still passionate about turntablism despite all the advantages of using cdjs ..

    One thing i dont like about (esp proffesional) use of cdjs is people pre recording there mixes and storing them on cd and having backups incase things go wrong, takes some of the skill out of it imo. some class this as cheating, others dont ..

    #1097281
    AvatarClusterfrog
    Participant

    hmmm CDs are dying a death and vinyl still linger as nobody wants to pay for digital medium but vinyl is still analogue. I know plenty of DJs who buy lots of vinyl, psy trance always seemed a bit of an anomaly to me.

    however if they bring out mp3 decks with the same torque as a pair of 12-10s i think vinyl may be in trouble

    #1097252
    AvatarGeneral Lighting
    Moderator

    @Iacchus 396148 wrote:

    hmmm CDs are dying a death and vinyl still linger as nobody wants to pay for digital medium but vinyl is still analogue. I know plenty of DJs who buy lots of vinyl, psy trance always seemed a bit of an anomaly to me.

    seeing some sort of CDJ type device actually being used for scratching in the Tinchy Stryder video (linked from the Guardian, of all places :laugh_at: surprised me TBH, wasn’t expecting to see that..)

    with the local crews there seems to be a mixture of both, some DJ’s are certainly moving along to digital formats, or they use them wierd devices what play records and control a digital file (serato?)

    #1097278
    AvatarAGENT 15
    Participant

    Nearly all of the Psy squats I have been over the past year to there isn’t a set of decks to be seen , all running off laptops , the future is here!

    #1097273
    AvatarDaftFader
    Participant

    I don’t mind people mixing with wav files so much .. but mixing with mp3’s just gets on my tits a little when you’re listening to well produced tunes you need to do them full justice!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Vibe Chat future of vinyl records on the dance music scene?

Skip to toolbar