Forums Music Speaker Plans I want to buy a rig…

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar DJ Damon September 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1048596
    Avatar
    Pike Tom Us
    Participant

    but havent a fuckin clue where to start.

    Im totally oblivious to the technical/spec side of building a rig and sound and all that.

    Anyone know of any website i can have a look at some speakers?

    I dont know if i want a full on powerful rig, i only want a few thousand watts to take to smaller parties with my mates and possibly link up for a few of the smaller systems in the south, not up for having a really powerful rig and putting on bigger parties. anyone got any suggestions?

    Ill give you one of my jelly tots if you help me :bounce_fl

    #1222274
    Avatar
    Clusterfrog
    Participant

    if you have unlimited funds:
    FUNKTION-ONE : OFFICIAL WEBSITE

    but for your first rig I’d imagine your best bet would be to shop around the net for a second hand setup, then find someone who knows they’re shit to approve the deal before you buy it

    #1222264
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    how much money you got

    what music you play

    what size is ur transport

    youll want to look at building stuff rather than buying…

    #1222250
    Avatar
    BioTech
    Participant

    People often ask this same question and the answer from me is always:

    Void Basys

    If you never plan on having a big rig and just want something small that needs the minimum amount of knowledge to set up then you can’t really beat the above.

    It’s list price is £3200 but you will get a good deal if you ring them and everything you need is included.

    Problem is, most people will look at that and laugh at the 1.5k rating. However, the amount of watts a system draws is a small part of the picture and it will no doubt kick out more and sound much better than a 5k bunch of mismatched cabs with cheap amps which is poorly set up due to limited knowledge.

    #1222265
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @biotech 369081 wrote:

    People often ask this same question and the answer from me is always:

    Void Basys

    If you never plan on having a big rig and just want something small that needs the minimum amount of knowledge to set up then you can’t really beat the above.

    It’s list price is £3200 but you will get a good deal if you ring them and everything you need is included.

    Problem is, most people will look at that and laugh at the 1.5k rating. However, the amount of watts a system draws is a small part of the picture and it will no doubt kick out more and sound much better than a 5k bunch of mismatched cabs with cheap amps which is poorly set up due to limited knowledge.

    void isnt the gear you want for small freeparties / house parties though ? coz of police etc

    it would also teach ye a skill to build yer own 😉

    #1222257
    Avatar
    Tek Offensive
    Participant

    @biotech 369081 wrote:

    it will no doubt kick out more and sound much better than a 5k bunch of mismatched cabs with cheap amps which is poorly set up due to limited knowledge.

    agree’d, everyone makes mistakes whilst learning, so try and make them mistakes as cheap as possible in the long run, check Speakerplans.com forum, ask lots of questions and plan what you want to do before making any purchases,

    whats your rough budget??

    #1222263
    Avatar
    Pike Tom Us
    Participant

    ive got up to 5grand.
    a mate from rugged sounds told me the best place to start was speakerplans

    #1222277
    Avatar
    DJ Damon
    Participant

    Yeah speaker plans all the way.

    As you said you just want something small i would say buy 4 1850’s or 186’s get two HD’s to go on top of that and then two tops and maybe a tweeter.

    But his depends on what style of music you want to play.

    But if you don’t want to throw illegals then i would buy some pro gear for 5 grand, get a few Void Loony Bins (which are a similar design to the 1850 but go lower and kick out an extra 3db) and some Stacy tops, you couldn’t easily do that with 5 grand and then have some left over for amps ect…

    You want this sort of set-up…

    And for those who are interested this is their full Sound System, sweet ey?!

    #1222266
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    is that 9bar damon

    #1222260
    Avatar
    DaftFader
    Participant

    @joshd96320 372251 wrote:

    is that 9bar damon

    na this is nine bar …

    wrong colour Josh 😛

    #1222249
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator

    thats a local rig and I’m sure I’ve seen that colour somewhere (sensetize?)

    #1222267
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @daftfader 372255 wrote:

    na this is nine bar …
    wrong colour Josh 😛

    oh yeh… i should of known, its been my wallpaper for a few months LOL
    @General Lighting 372263 wrote:

    thats a local rig and I’m sure I’ve seen that colour somewhere (sensetize?)

    i assume its narfuck?

    #1222261
    Avatar
    DaftFader
    Participant

    @General Lighting 372263 wrote:

    thats a local rig and I’m sure I’ve seen that colour somewhere (sensetize?)

    i’m pretty sure i’ve seen a rig the same rouge colour as that b4 several times… not sure if it’s the same 1 or not tho … the first time i can remember was at a moot party somewhere ages ago …

    #1222251
    Avatar
    elretardo87
    Participant

    @joshd96320 369094 wrote:

    void isnt the gear you want for small freeparties / house parties though ? coz of police etc

    Why?

    Void Basys is a compact reflex system that’s gona get you no more grief than any other system. In fact it’s ease of setup means you can get it away asap if need be.

    #1222252
    Avatar
    elretardo87
    Participant

    @DJ Damon 372223 wrote:

    Yeah speaker plans all the way.

    As you said you just want something small i would say buy 4 1850’s or 186’s get two HD’s to go on top of that and then two tops and maybe a tweeter.
    But his depends on what style of music you want to play.

    But if you don’t want to throw illegals then i would buy some pro gear for 5 grand, get a few Void Loony Bins (which are a similar design to the 1850 but go lower and kick out an extra 3db) and some Stacy tops, you couldn’t easily do that with 5 grand and then have some left over for amps ect…

    First option is a waste of time. No point getting HDs to sit ontop of an all purpose bass cab (I know you can do it and I have done it but it doesn’t make that much of a difference tbh). I’m not gona go any further but basically ignore that plan.

    You would not have anything left over for amps buying 4 looney bins and a pair of stasys 3’s from £5k unless you got it all second hand and MK1 stasys (which are shit. Then you would still need another few grand for amps.

    I would listen to Bio if you are sure you want to get a rig and get a Basys or something similar. If not then help out another crew and learn all you can.

    Rigs are expensive and there is no point jumping in without learning first….you will only end up buying twice.

    #1222258
    Avatar
    Tek Offensive
    Participant

    @elretardo87 372404 wrote:

    Rigs are expensive and there is no point jumping in without learning first….you will only end up buying twice.

    true dat….

    my setup is completely different to what i first bought after learning more. also havin all the gear and no idea is not good, make sure you know what your doing and how to set it up properly.

    hence why the void basys is a good start, as you can always sell the rest for a good price as it holds its value

    #1222268
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @elretardo87 372402 wrote:

    Why?

    Void Basys is a compact reflex system that’s gona get you no more grief than any other system. In fact it’s ease of setup means you can get it away asap if need be.

    yeah but at free parties & house parties, your not going to make much return on it, the quality of sound isnt going to be highly demanded… meh your the experienced one…

    #1222253
    Avatar
    elretardo87
    Participant

    @joshd96320 372438 wrote:

    yeah but at free parties & house parties, your not going to make much return on it, the quality of sound isnt going to be highly demanded… meh your the experienced one…

    The money making side of things never really crossed my mind tbh.

    We have a big stack of Void and ASS and I can’t be assed trying to make money from it.

    #1222269
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @elretardo87 372480 wrote:

    The money making side of things never really crossed my mind tbh.

    We have a big stack of Void and ASS and I can’t be assed trying to make money from it.

    :laugh_at: depends how much money you got to spare, now, i would have enough cash for a stack of ass, and a couple of void infs, if sound systems was all i did… but ive got other interests too and so my student budget doesnt cater for a void stack for little parties 🙁 unfortunately.. lol

    #1222278
    Avatar
    DJ Damon
    Participant

    Nope it’s not 9bar, its a local sound system too be, they haven’t don’t many parties but they are currently got some night coming up, this is their facebook page which will keep you updated on all legal events they throw.
    They play a range of Dubstep, Drum & Bass, Electro, Hard Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Electro Breaks, Hardtek & Electro Psy.

    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=12561&uid=306267087125#!/pages/INDECENT-SOUNDSYSTEM/284241955909

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/AUDIOPORN-SOUNDSYSTEM/305072382462?ref=ts

    Here is an even better picture, this is both of the systems, they usually throw parties together.

    22140_287578505909_284241955909_3939144_494038_n.jpg

    #1222254
    Avatar
    elretardo87
    Participant

    They need to get rid of the Stasys 3 mk1’s they were pretty pants and don’t do the rest justice.

    #1222270
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    the mk2 are sex… are mk1 that much worse?

    #1222275
    Avatar
    1984
    Participant

    why are you all speaking Klingon

    #1222271
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    klingon? :S

    #1222276
    Avatar
    1984
    Participant

    @joshd96320 372647 wrote:

    klingon? :S

    its all greek to me

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar