Forums The Vibe Chat 270 words left….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    elretardo87
    Participant

…of a 2500 word essay on Roman concrete. The essay itself is bloody boring but it’s really interesting to think that a lot of the great Roman buildings still standing are actually made of brick and concrete not the big pillars of marble often imagined.

Like the huge dome of the Pantheonpantheon-interior-big.jpg

or the arches of the coliseum

coliseum.gif

General Lighting

wow, I didn’t realise the romans had concrete!

its ironic then that many of these places are still standing, whilst concrete buildings of the 1960s-1980s are being condemned / abandoned due to poor quality materials (this was how down south we managed to get a fair few party venues and squats in the 90s/2000s!)

actually in one squat we found copies of a magazine called “concrete quarterly”…

General Lighting

its ironic then that many of these places are still standing, whilst concrete buildings of the 1960s-1980s are being condemned / abandoned due to poor quality materials (this was how down south we managed to get a fair few party venues and squats in the 90s/2000s!)

actually in one squat we found copies of a magazine called “concrete quarterly”…

starlaugh
          Participant

I didnt know that at all Elretardo…………

Amazing actually!

starlaugh
            Participant

I didnt know that at all Elretardo…………

Amazing actually!

elretardo87
              Participant
                General Lighting wrote:

Yeh their version was the first to set under water as well. Hence all the bridges that are still standing.

Also I think thats why more Roman buildings have survived the test of time. People skank marble and huge blocks of stone to build new buildings but nobody chips off bits of concrete to make a new house.

elretardo87
                Participant
                  General Lighting wrote:

Yeh their version was the first to set under water as well. Hence all the bridges that are still standing.

Also I think thats why more Roman buildings have survived the test of time. People skank marble and huge blocks of stone to build new buildings but nobody chips off bits of concrete to make a new house.

mudstomper
                  Participant
                    elretardo87 wrote:

I grew up in Thetford, on the Abbey estate, the majority of houses needed re-pointing and general work due to crap build and materials, but bits of the Cluney monastry that it’s named for that was destroyed by Henry’s purge can be seen built into walls all over the older parts of town. The wall at the back of Colchester bus stop is Roman, still standing, still nearly scalable, shame me and me and my mate had to find the weak bits half-way down on an acid mushed up moment, “leap, weee, ouch”

mudstomper
                    Participant
                      elretardo87 wrote:

I grew up in Thetford, on the Abbey estate, the majority of houses needed re-pointing and general work due to crap build and materials, but bits of the Cluney monastry that it’s named for that was destroyed by Henry’s purge can be seen built into walls all over the older parts of town. The wall at the back of Colchester bus stop is Roman, still standing, still nearly scalable, shame me and me and my mate had to find the weak bits half-way down on an acid mushed up moment, “leap, weee, ouch”

JonnyQuest
                      Participant

what course are you taking? if its history i may need to defer for another year

JonnyQuest
                        Participant

what course are you taking? if its history i may need to defer for another year

Digital-A
                          Participant

interesting stuff mate, good luck with finishing the essay 🙂

Digital-A
                            Participant

interesting stuff mate, good luck with finishing the essay 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Vibe Chat 270 words left….