Forums The Vibe Chat Stonehenge

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar redneck June 20, 2008 at 1:19 am.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1044810
    Avatar
    welly
    Participant

    This weekend is the Summer Solstice and no this is not a thread about who’s going, but if you are it is a magical place.
    However it is more than just a hippy gathering place. If you enjoy partying and think the cops are a bit over the top. Then look up Battle of the Beanfield on youtube. It wasn’t a battle but the state smashing people’s homes, removing their kids and putting them in care. The police even removed people’s dogs and had them put down.
    It is important that we remember our collective history because without it the government wins and divides us.
    WE party for the music, the drugs, the buzz but beyond all that is that people have a right to gather. I love party’s because it brings people together and the divides of our society bend for a few hours.
    So whatever you do this weekend, have a good one and dance fiercely.

    #1174764
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator
    welly;223153 wrote:
    WE party for the music, the drugs, the buzz but beyond all that is that people have a right to gather.

    IMO that is way more important than the music and the drugs

    if you just want music and drugs today you can go crasher or raverbaby or HTID or Pams

    but even with these people had to fight for the right to have late licenses etc and its all interlinked with the 1980s alternative scene.

    we are going into “ashes to ashes” mode at the moment. last weekend I didn’t know if I was in 2008 or 1988 sometimes. OK for me its fun as its like getting my youth again but deep down I realise we could be going backwards socially and lose a lot of our progressive legislation what happened in the aftershock of the battles of the 1980s..

    #1174773
    Avatar
    ellie
    Participant

    a good point well made – cheers

    #1174774
    Avatar
    redneck
    Participant
    welly;223153 wrote:
    This weekend is the Summer Solstice and no this is not a thread about who’s going, but if you are it is a magical place.
    However it is more than just a hippy gathering place. If you enjoy partying and think the cops are a bit over the top. Then look up Battle of the Beanfield on youtube. It wasn’t a battle but the state smashing people’s homes, removing their kids and putting them in care. The police even removed people’s dogs and had them put down.
    It is important that we remember our collective history because without it the government wins and divides us.
    WE party for the music, the drugs, the buzz but beyond all that is that people have a right to gather. I love party’s because it brings people together and the divides of our society bend for a few hours.
    So whatever you do this weekend, have a good one and dance fiercely.

    I agree with a lot of what you say there and I’ve always loved being at stonehenge.
    I’d like to make a point though.
    A lot of those dogs had been worrying and killing livestock for years. they were allowed to run free wherever the convoy parked up and the dogs would form a pack and go off hunting.
    Taking the kids into care was over the top and battering people round the head was too but they had driven through a fence and were on the run and it looked like they were thinking about running the cops over. It was a highly volatile situation with angry people on both sides.
    I was on my way there when it kicked off and a lot of my good friends were already there.
    I watched the whole hideous affair on live tv.

    I’m not defending the OB but the convoy were far from innocent.
    The year before that they’d smashed police vehicles out of the way to get onto the site and 1000’s of us had stayed there for a month, openly selling drugs and sticking two fingers up to thatcher and authority.
    They felt they had to put a stop to it before it got completley out of control.
    Theres two sides to every story and unfortunately the truth of the bigger picture never gets told on this one.

    Having said all that I still love going to the solstice every year.
    I feel it’s our right to be there.
    The stones were given to the english people years ago and stolen back off us in the 80’s.

    I’d love to go tommorrow but might not bother as it looks like it might piss down.

    #1174765
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator
    redneck;223188 wrote:
    Theres two sides to every story and unfortunately the truth of the bigger picture never gets told on this one.

    I was a normal suburban teenage kid back then but I’ve met a fair few people from the alternative community of that time (some of them were even my high school teachers lol)

    The cops were of course well out of order but there was loads of other bad shit as well on the other side – although its claimed heroin (with some truth) that was infiltrated onto the community to fuck it up at the same time it was and still remains peoples lack of self control that so many people on alternative cultrues fuck up from drugs

    was also told by several people that there was prostitution going on the site and the girls were selling their bodies to the local squaddies (same ones what backed up the cops at the battle I expect)

    so much for the “womens liberation” element of it people looked up to back in the 1980s

    this weren’t daily mail readers telling me this either but seasoned travellers/squatters

    in hindsight the whole thing was a big fuck up on both sides and a stain on this countrys character

    thankfully it seemed it shocked both sides to their senses and IMO that is what led to the 90s brief tolerance of rave culture

    but it hurts me to see people making the same fuck ups yet again, when I see anger, misogyny and raves being broken up by riot cops as recently as last year its like there has been no fucking progress whatsover..

    #1174775
    Avatar
    redneck
    Participant
    General Lighting;223192 wrote:
    I
    The cops were of course well out of order but there was loads of other bad shit as well on the other side – although its claimed heroin (with some truth) that was infiltrated onto the community to fuck it up at the same time ….

    was also told by several people that there was prostitution going on the site and the girls were selling their bodies to the local squaddies (same ones what backed up the cops at the battle I expect)

    so much for the “womens liberation” element of it people looked up to back in the 1980s

    I heard a large amount of coke/freebase suddenly arrived on the scene. Could have been smack too i suppose.
    I know loads of heroin arrived in 1992 after a police operation to block all hash supplies.

    I’ve never heard that about the prostitution though but anythings possible.
    Quite shocking if its true though.

    And I know a few women from that scene who’d rip your balls off and eat ’em whole for suggesting the womens lib scene was anything but pure. :laugh_at:

    #1174766
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator
    redneck;223200 wrote:
    I heard a large amount of coke/freebase suddenly arrived on the scene. Could have been smack too i suppose.
    I know loads of heroin arrived in 1992 after a police operation to block all hash supplies.

    by the 90s though its hard to tell though whether it was the feds or the bigger dealers wanting to preserve their profits and markets, you’d think there would be enough people to learn from past mistakes. even the coppers would have known that allowing smack creates more crime and doesn’t kill quickly enough to be effective in actually destroying a community, it just passes a burden on to NHS

    there is always the option to say no, even on a liberal community

    Quote:
    I’ve never heard that about the prostitution though but anythings possible.
    Quite shocking if its true though.

    well I heard it from three different people in different areas who had experience of those timescales and the sites.

    Of course this would have had to be hidden from the “millie tant” feminists mentioned below.

    Quote:
    And I know a few women from that scene who’d rip your balls off and eat ’em whole for suggesting the womens lib scene was anything but pure. :laugh_at:

    probably the same ones what ended up as teaching assistants and youth workers in my school district :laugh_at:

    my mum agreed with a lot of their views but was probably more right on than them in some ways which was probably why my own rebellious activities were tolerated to an extent…

    seriously though the gender issues remain unresolved to this day and have actually split the alternative culture down the middle , I reckon deep down they’ve done more damage than the riot cops 😥 – after all in nature a living species or community needs both males and females to thrive…

    #1174776
    Avatar
    redneck
    Participant
    General Lighting;223201 wrote:
    by the 90s though its hard to tell though whether it was the feds or the bigger dealers wanting to preserve their profits and markets,

    there is always the option to say no, even on a liberal community

    we heard the police had the 3 main distributors in the south of england under constant surveilance for months.
    they were holding large amounts of hash but couldnt touch it.
    it was a really grim time for me because i was a daily smoker at the time and the whole of london and the south was dry as a bone. this went on for about 9 months then suddenly the streets were awash with cheap heroin.
    quite a few people i knew gave up and turned to smack because they were so sick of being straight.
    i considered it myself a few times tbh but having already lost a bunch of mates to it i knew i didnt want to go there.

    #1174767
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator
    redneck;223314 wrote:
    we heard the police had the 3 main distributors in the south of england under constant surveilance for months.
    they were holding large amounts of hash but couldnt touch it.

    actually thinking way back I remember that drought

    Quote:
    it was a really grim time for me because i was a daily smoker at the time and the whole of london and the south was dry as a bone. this went on for about 9 months then suddenly the streets were awash with cheap heroin.

    hmm this definitely seems more like those what depend on the revenue stream at al levels preserving their markets. smuggling routes for all drugs are fairly similar and although some street level dealers didn’t want to deal brown and many never did, money and the desire to get it corrupts absolutely.

    I’d maybe believe the conspiracy theories in the 1980s but thatcho if left to carry on would have also abolished the NHS thus removing the problem of the treatment burden, the addicts would have been left to die….

    but by the 1990s with the NHS still extant, the feds deliberately allowing smack to be sold would be like burning down a brand new barn full of grain to kill a small handful of mice.

    Quote:
    quite a few people i knew gave up and turned to smack because they were so sick of being straight.

    Thats just addiction and lack of self control.

    perhaps (although this is again a conspiracy theory) the feds were doing a psycholgical test on people and the community, to see how dependent they were on drugs

    on a more real note I saw it happen to my mates around then and loads of them paid the price – was reading TVP website a couple years ago and loads of names I knew (including old friends from high school) were on there busted for addictive class A’s

    Quote:
    i considered it myself a few times tbh but having already lost a bunch of mates to it i knew i didnt want to go there.

    fair play to you for resisting – incidentally I think these times are back as the cops here seem to have reduced a lot of the party drugs trade and events being pushed back into legal venues mean people are doing less party drugs… but smack is always available …

    #1174771
    Avatar
    Benzo
    Participant

    Sorry, but erm back to stonehenge… There was a point in the early 90’s when the wilts ob had a law that on solstice night more than one car was a convoy and would pull over and shit on everyone. Now they open it up and let us up to the stones etc. Is this a small victory?

    #1174777
    Avatar
    redneck
    Participant
    General Lighting;223321 wrote:
    I’d maybe believe the conspiracy theories in the 1980s but thatcho if left to carry on would have also abolished the NHS thus removing the problem of the treatment burden, the addicts would have been left to die….

    but by the 1990s with the NHS still extant, the feds deliberately allowing smack to be sold would be like burning down a brand new barn full of grain to kill a small handful of mice….

    I agree with you but they did it with the black panthers didnt they.
    It’s a tried and tested way for governments to destroy an anti establisment movement.

    Someone suggested to me that the amount of money generated by 1000’s of junkies in insurance claims would make it worthwhile for the country but i think that may be going a bit far.

    #1174768
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator
    redneck;223325 wrote:
    I agree with you but they did it with the black panthers didnt they.
    It’s a tried and tested way for governments to destroy an anti establisment movement.

    the USA has no public health service so its worthwhile them doing this – also I suspect its used in SE Asian nations where they have death penalty for drugs and has been successfully used to cleanse certain areas of indigenous peoples or just the poor.

    But Brits are too cynical and nosey for this to work – and we are (or were) a more developed country socially than the USA or Asia, even they are ahead of us on technology

    Quote:
    Someone suggested to me that the amount of money generated by 1000’s of junkies in insurance claims would make it worthwhile for the country but i think that may be going a bit far.

    nah, I worked in the insurance industry for some years and insurance companies make their money by not paying out claims whenever possible

    #1174772
    Avatar
    rachus
    Participant

    Its going to rain 🙁 least all the booze and crap will get washed off the stones.

    Im going to find a massive piece of plastic me thinks… failing that im buying a child’s tent to plonk my arse in.

    #1174778
    Avatar
    redneck
    Participant
    rachus;223336 wrote:
    Its going to rain 🙁 least all the booze and crap will get washed off the stones.

    Im going to find a massive piece of plastic me thinks… failing that im buying a child’s tent to plonk my arse in.

    they wont let you in with a tent (if they find it)
    the rain doesnt look definite yet.
    i’ve got til about 5pm tommorrow before i decide if I’m going or not.

    #1174769
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator

    keep checking the met office website for your target location

    don’t bother with the BBC or foreign weather forecasters, both are often wrong

    met office is updated every hour or so straight from the RAF weather stations

    #1174770
    Avatar
    Shit Robot
    Participant

    Beanfield sucked big time,one of the worst days of my life:cry:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar