Forums The Vibe Chat How do you….

This topic contains 80 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1984 March 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1223530
    Avatar
    PhilKmorgan
    Participant

    Maybe Mr J’s angle was along the lines of this excerpt (from Wiki):

    However, “nothingness” has been treated as a serious subject worthy of research for a very long time. In philosophy, to avoid linguistic traps over the meaning of “nothing”, a phrase such as not-being is often employed to unambiguously make clear what is being discussed.

    #1223582
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @philkmorgan 374108 wrote:

    Would you or would you not hesitate ????

    i would. buti would not hesitate.
    @Iacchus 374110 wrote:

    From our perspective we are the only sentient life in the known universe, we have risen to the capability to be able to understand and manipulate the world around us, and if you try to contribute to society then I think you do have a significance.

    but what if you percieve society as insignificant?

    @Playground Politics 374114 wrote:

    sorry josh, but i think seeing nothing as significant is extremely ignorant

    in what way?

    @philkmorgan 374119 wrote:

    Maybe Mr J’s angle was along the lines of this excerpt (from Wiki):

    However, “nothingness” has been treated as a serious subject worthy of research for a very long time. In philosophy, to avoid linguistic traps over the meaning of “nothing”, a phrase such as not-being is often employed to unambiguously make clear what is being discussed.

    partially… its more that everything around life involves emotion and feeling, and if you take that away, you just see existence – birth, life, death.. and from that perspective i perceive nothing as significant. But obviously from a day to day basis, i do, or i would descend into a bad way

    #1223531
    Avatar
    PhilKmorgan
    Participant

    @joshd96320 374124 wrote:

    partially… its more that everything around life involves emotion and feeling, and if you take that away, you just see existence – birth, life, death.. and from that perspective i perceive nothing as significant. But obviously from a day to day basis, i do, or i would descend into a bad way

    One is reminded of Mr Starlaughs signature, really quite insightful:

    It’s all academic really; we will outgrow religion as we’ve outgrown our belief in goblins and dragons. One day we will just accept our mortality, and get on with the business of living.

    #1223601
    Avatar
    Buzz
    Participant

    @Playground Politics 374114 wrote:

    sorry josh, but i think seeing nothing as significant is extremely ignorant

    it all depends on how you interpret significance.

    #1223557
    Avatar
    Playground Politics
    Participant

    @buzz 374134 wrote:

    it all depends on how you interpret significance.

    @buzz and josh

    I am significant, you are significant, my granny is significant, barak obama is significant, we all have one significant thing in common and that ability is to change our outlook and inlook. when i mean outlook i mean how we effect things and each other how we can save someones life or how we can hurt someone by shouting at them. we all can change our inlook by thinking differently, or choosing to do something. we all have free will. and that ultimately makes us significant in the only truth we have, that we are one, we are here now. the present makes this fact. the present makes us significant

    religion tries to make the future significant (life after death?)

    history tries to make the past significant

    #1223583
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @philkmorgan 374130 wrote:

    One is reminded of Mr Starlaughs signature, really quite insightful:

    It’s all academic really; we will outgrow religion as we’ve outgrown our belief in goblins and dragons. One day we will just accept our mortality, and get on with the business of living.

    @Playground Politics 374179 wrote:

    @buzz and josh

    I am significant, you are significant, my granny is significant, barak obama is significant, we all have one significant thing in common and that ability is to change our outlook and inlook. when i mean outlook i mean how we effect things and each other how we can save someones life or how we can hurt someone by shouting at them. we all can change our inlook by thinking differently, or choosing to do something. we all have free will. and that ultimately makes us significant in the only truth we have, that we are one, we are here now. the present makes this fact. the present makes us significant

    religion tries to make the future significant (life after death?)

    history tries to make the past significant

    take a step back from the society bubble & you will see my point of view: we are just another lifeform, another species. my nan isnt significant. my mum isnt significant. im not significant. nobody, nothing is significant, especially within the human race – we are a parasite, we are toxic to the environment. we cant give anything back, what we call environmentally friendly is just something less harmful, but still harmful. we leech of the earth and then we die… i dont see us or our lifetimes as significant when i put my mind to it, but through everyday life, yes i will see significant things in life such as music.

    #1223563
    Avatar
    GiantMidget
    Participant

    @joshd96320 374183 wrote:

    we are a parasite, we are toxic to the environment. we cant give anything back, what we call environmentally friendly is just something less harmful, but still harmful. we leech of the earth and then we die… i dont see us or our lifetimes as significant when i put my mind to it, but through everyday life, yes i will see significant things in life such as music.

    Jesus man. you might be a parasite but I’m not. Other than the music part i think that’s a very sad way of looking at life especially from someone as young as you.

    My advice to you is find a really fit bird and get your nuts wet, this will (hopefully) change your outlook of life. raaa

    #1223532
    Avatar
    PhilKmorgan
    Participant

    @Playground Politics 374179 wrote:

    @buzz and josh

    …..we all have free will and that ultimately makes us significant

    This seems reasonable..

    #1223558
    Avatar
    Playground Politics
    Participant

    @joshd96320 374183 wrote:

    take a step back from the society bubble & you will see my point of view: we are just another lifeform, another species. my nan isnt significant. my mum isnt significant. im not significant. nobody, nothing is significant, especially within the human race – we are a parasite, we are toxic to the environment. we cant give anything back, what we call environmentally friendly is just something less harmful, but still harmful. we leech of the earth and then we die… i dont see us or our lifetimes as significant when i put my mind to it, but through everyday life, yes i will see significant things in life such as music.

    we obviously just disagree whitch is cool. i think my only arguement to that iswe have choice to drive a 4×4 or to ride a bike, there is that integral choice and free will. also we are a creature that cares and loves. my mum thinks im significant, and a lot of my friends think im significant and visa versa.

    I think on a bigger level than what i can see, i cannot comment on because its not fact. i think alot of ppl see that bigger level when they come into contact with drugs (LSD DMT etcetcetc) Do i think its a worthwhile topic to base an opinion on, probably not for me.

    #1223584
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @giantmidget 374198 wrote:

    Jesus man. you might be a parasite but I’m not. Other than the music part i think that’s a very sad way of looking at life especially from someone as young as you.

    My advice to you is find a really fit bird and get your nuts wet, this will (hopefully) change your outlook of life. raaa

    thats not like my everyday outlook, its just speculation when i am looking at everything as a whole… in everyday life, i do see the weekend pussy & cider as a very significant thing :weee:

    @Playground Politics 374208 wrote:

    we obviously just disagree whitch is cool. i think my only arguement to that iswe have choice to drive a 4×4 or to ride a bike, there is that integral choice and free will. also we are a creature that cares and loves. my mum thinks im significant, and a lot of my friends think im significant and visa versa.

    I think on a bigger level than what i can see, i cannot comment on because its not fact. i think alot of ppl see that bigger level when they come into contact with drugs (LSD DMT etcetcetc) Do i think its a worthwhile topic to base an opinion on, probably not for me.

    thats what i meant… i love and care everyone around me, but thinking on a higher level i do see it as insignificant… but i suppose “Do i think its a worthwhile topic to base an opinion on, probably not for me” sums it up really, its not really worth considering a higher level since you will never be on one… i do agree :love:

    #1223564
    Avatar
    GiantMidget
    Participant

    @joshd96320 374319 wrote:

    thats not like my everyday outlook, its just speculation when i am looking at everything as a whole… in everyday life, i do see the weekend pussy & cider as a very significant thing :weee:

    😉

    #1223602
    Avatar
    Buzz
    Participant

    @Playground Politics 374179 wrote:

    we all have free will. and that ultimately makes us significant in the only truth we have, that we are one, we are here now.

    You cannot simply say we have free will. As it could be argued that any decisions we make are ultimately influenced by the the society we live in, the situations we find ourselves in and how we have been socialised. Your decisions are based on knowledge passed on from others. So whos to say that they are your decisions?

    Significance, like God, all depends on how you interpret the word. For instance, Would you consider a God an actual physical entity which consciously choose to create the universe? or would you consider God as simply the reason behind why the universe exists (as some do)? By this reasoning, God could be interpreted to be the Big Bang?

    At the end of the day, these terms are both just words.

    #1223525
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    take a bow son, take a bow

    #1223559
    Avatar
    Playground Politics
    Participant

    @buzz 374351 wrote:

    You cannot simply say we have free will. As it could be argued that any decisions we make are ultimately influenced by the the society we live in, the situations we find ourselves in and how we have been socialised. Your decisions are based on knowledge passed on from others. So whos to say that they are your decisions?

    Significance, like God, all depends on how you interpret the word. For instance, Would you consider a God an actual physical entity which consciously choose to create the universe? or would you consider God as simply the reason behind why the universe exists (as some do)? By this reasoning, God could be interpreted to be the Big Bang?

    At the end of the day, these terms are both just words.

    I have free will, I dont understand how your saying i dont. They are my decisions because I make them, daily.

    #1223595
    Avatar
    Clusterfrog
    Participant

    @buzz 374351 wrote:

    You cannot simply say we have free will. As it could be argued that any decisions we make are ultimately influenced by the the society we live in, the situations we find ourselves in and how we have been socialised. Your decisions are based on knowledge passed on from others. So whos to say that they are your decisions?

    Significance, like God, all depends on how you interpret the word. For instance, Would you consider a God an actual physical entity which consciously choose to create the universe? or would you consider God as simply the reason behind why the universe exists (as some do)? By this reasoning, God could be interpreted to be the Big Bang?

    At the end of the day, these terms are both just words.

    If there is no free will then you are basically saying there is no random or conscious element in the universe, and everything that ever happened or will happen is completely predestined and written out somewhere in a script

    If that is the case, who wrote the script? Why that script and not another one? The universe makes no sense if free will is an illusion.

    #1223603
    Avatar
    Buzz
    Participant

    @Playground Politics 374505 wrote:

    I have free will, I dont understand how your saying i dont. They are my decisions because I make them, daily.

    You think they are your decisions but are they? While we believe that each decision we make is ours and ours alone, they are influenced by multiple outside factors and/or biological/chemical causes. Our socialisation early on in life plays a massive part in how we live our life. Pressures from society will force us to behave. While evaluating a decision you need to make, you may see one of the choices as illogical, but how have you learned what is logical and what is illogical?

    I personally don’t like the arguement against free will, im just offering another opinion as this is an interesting discussion.

    @Iacchus 374506 wrote:

    If there is no free will then you are basically saying there is no random or conscious element in the universe, and everything that ever happened or will happen is completely predestined and written out somewhere in a script

    If that is the case, who wrote the script? Why that script and not another one? The universe makes no sense if free will is an illusion.

    don’t confuse free will with chance. randomness exists.

    #1223596
    Avatar
    Clusterfrog
    Participant

    @buzz 374527 wrote:

    You think they are your decisions but are they? While we believe that each decision we make is ours and ours alone, they are influenced by multiple outside factors and/or biological/chemical causes. Our socialisation early on in life plays a massive part in how we live our life. Pressures from society will force us to behave. While evaluating a decision you need to make, you may see one of the choices as illogical, but how have you learned what is logical and what is illogical?

    I personally don’t like the arguement against free will, im just offering another opinion as this is an interesting discussion.

    don’t confuse free will with chance. randomness exists.

    Are you saying a decision is not a ‘free will’ decision if it is based on any outside information at all? Of course the choices we make are based on information we have gathered, in fact the concept of a choice based on no information at all is actually pretty much meaningless. However that doesnt mean that the information is making the decision, or even that the information is the only factor in the outcome of the decision. The brain is far more than a data crunching device.

    And the concept of randomness in the laws of physics is critical to predestination/free will arguments actually. Ie in a world with purely newtonian physics you could argue that free will does not exist as the movement of all particles in the universe (including our brain) is predestined, however quantum physics has blown this idea out of the water.

    #1223585
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    in vain, trying to understand the universe. it doesnt work like we do. we dont even know about our own world, let alone a universe, if universes even exist.

    #1223533
    Avatar
    PhilKmorgan
    Participant

    @joshd96320 374553 wrote:

    if universes even exist.

    It would really be a headfuk if it didn’t after all :you_crazy

    #1223586
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    @philkmorgan 374573 wrote:

    It would really be a headfuk if it didn’t after all :you_crazy

    :weee:

    #1223526
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    all the worlds money shud go into exploring the universe

    #1223534
    Avatar
    PhilKmorgan
    Participant

    @Diceface 374603 wrote:

    all the worlds money shud go into exploring the universe

    and also pushing the boundaries of understanding the significance of nothing..

    #1223573
    Avatar
    DaftFader
    Participant

    @Diceface 374603 wrote:

    all the worlds money shud go into exploring the universe

    what about starving people? (and i don’t mean spend the cash on making people starve .. i mean feeding hungry ones.. just encase of any confusion)

    #1223527
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    i dunno man, we have been sending millions of pounds every year for years to these poor countries and they are still in a mess, i dont think money is the answer to that problem.

    #1223587
    Avatar
    joshd96320
    Participant

    World is over populated, whether or not we like it, people need to die.. Though medical breakthroughs keep making people live longer. I Think this will ultimately lead to large problems, or brutality within humanity.. Culling etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar