Forums The Vibe Chat Education or work?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1048433
    joshd96320
    Participant

      Ok what shall I do:

      stay at 6th form with me mates generally having a laugh but a lot of work to do

      get a job and earn lots of money , but be out of contact a bit with the people I would want to share that money with

      On you marks, get set, cast yer votes.

      #1221099
      1984
      Participant

        finish college mate not having A Levels is a big disadvantage generally speaking these days. Plus there’s not much work around anyway and dropping out of something doesn’t look too good on the old CV anyway.

        ps plus you seem like a clever chap and you want your CV to reflect that, got your whole life to work.

        #1221084
        joshd96320
        Participant

          i almost garuantee i could get me a job in the next 2 weeks starting on at least 11 grand if i tried ๐Ÿ™‚

          #1221085
          joshd96320
          Participant

            but i do c what you mean, its difficult to turn back & get a levels again, and ive hand written about 600 double sides pages of A4 since september, which would all be wasted

            #1221080
            p0ly
            Participant

              if you don’t wanna do sixth form then don’t do it, if you do then do. only you know if u wanna do this deep down joshy boi

              #1221086
              joshd96320
              Participant

                its not an important decision, so i thought i would allow the wonderful souls and gems of PV to handle this one

                #1221075
                starlaugh
                Participant

                  I would stay on in education mate, its something I wish I did. I left school 10 years ago and spent the first half a year doing odd jobs and getting mashed. Then I went on and started full time work, it seemed great at first but I soon came to realise that I should have stayed on in education as mates all started to buy very nice cars and then their own houses. I can only dream of affording this,

                  However you can get somewhere without education but its not recommended or easy, I know someone who started off on a factory line with no qualifications and now they are raking it in as a manager very high up in a big company.

                  It has taken me a long time to get a job that I really want to do that will actually get me somewhere good, but that was just a lucky break really

                  #1221100
                  1984
                  Participant

                    @joshd96320 364351 wrote:

                    i almost garuantee i could get me a job in the next 2 weeks starting on at least 11 grand if i tried ๐Ÿ™‚

                    11 grand isnt much man in this day and age. College College College

                    #1221065
                    General Lighting
                    Moderator

                      depends what sort of job you are planning on getting… a lot of my younger mates in their teens/20s did not stay on / dropped out of college and are finding hard to get work.

                      others got apprenticeships as mechanics or electricians but the smaller local companies here don’t seem to treat their staff that well

                      and most office jobs do want people with A levels – it did help when I was looking for work in 1992 but then again I didn’t want to do further/higher education (dropped out of uni after 2 years) and didn’t enjoy 6th form at all..

                      but if you got something like an apprenticeship with Openreach (British Telecom) they pay quite well and send you to do training courses on electronics, I think they may also contribute towards getting a driving license – you do have to do a load of boring cable monkeying but its one of those jobs what can’t get bangalored as the telephone wires have to stay in Britain..

                      #1221071
                      Tank Girl
                      Participant

                        stay on at colege – you wont get this time back so enjoy it :love:

                        work will always be an option later on in life….

                        #1221087
                        joshd96320
                        Participant

                          @1984 364360 wrote:

                          11 grand isnt much man in this day and age. College College College

                          its not too bad when your 16 and then minimum wage is rather low

                          @General Lighting 364361 wrote:

                          depends what sort of job you are planning on getting… a lot of my younger mates in their teens/20s did not stay on / dropped out of college and are finding hard to get work.

                          others got apprenticeships as mechanics or electricians but the smaller local companies here don’t seem to treat their staff that well

                          and most office jobs do want people with A levels – it did help when I was looking for work in 1992 but then again I didn’t want to do further/higher education (dropped out of uni after 2 years) and didn’t enjoy 6th form at all..

                          but if you got something like an apprenticeship with Openreach (British Telecom) they pay quite well and send you to do training courses on electronics, I think they may also contribute towards getting a driving license – you do have to do a load of boring cable monkeying but its one of those jobs what can’t get bangalored as the telephone wires have to stay in Britain..

                          i did look at BT apprenticeship, but ya need an ICT A-level, which is also one of the reasons i joined 6th form, incase i wanted the apprenticeship.

                          Anyway, general consensus is that i should stay on in education, so i shall take your golden words and be in school for a teaching of government & politics @ 8:20 tomorrow :love:

                          #1221076
                          starlaugh
                          Participant

                            @joshd96320 364363 wrote:

                            its not too bad when your 16 and then minimum wage is rather low

                            I dunno as my pot monkeys when I was a chef were on this….

                            #1221068
                            PhilKmorgan
                            Participant

                              Aside from furthering your intellectual interests and career potential etc, one of the big pluses of college (and esp. University) is the social experience…many people say the best years of your life. Then again, I’m the eternal student.

                              #1221069
                              PhilKmorgan
                              Participant

                                Plus if your more of a free spirit, it’s going to be difficult to be on the kind of hampster wheel that a lot of a jobs involve.

                                #1221088
                                joshd96320
                                Participant

                                  @PhilKmorgan 364366 wrote:

                                  Aside from furthering your intellectual interests and career potential etc, one of the big pluses of college (and esp. University) is the social experience…many people say the best years of your life. Then again, I’m the eternal student.

                                  ye, that is quite important to me… its easy to organise parties / weekends when everyone is in one place. and also gotta love whappin out the boombox at lunch and educating the children on decent music :bounce_fl

                                  @PhilKmorgan 364367 wrote:

                                  Plus if your more of a free spirit, it’s going to be difficult to be on the kind of hampster wheel that a lot of a jobs involve.

                                  yeah, this is a hindrance i have considered… :p

                                  #1221092
                                  Clusterfrog
                                  Participant

                                    depends.. if ure never going to take education all the way and get a degree, then stay. if you’re never going to pursue academia i dont think its really worth doing A levels, you’ll probably get futher by starting an apprenticeship in an industry that interests you

                                    #1221077
                                    starlaugh
                                    Participant

                                      @Iacchus 364371 wrote:

                                      depends.. if ure never going to take education all the way and get a degree, then stay. if you’re never going to pursue academia i dont think its really worth doing A levels, you’ll probably get futher by starting an apprenticeship in an industry that interests you

                                      These can be worth it, I know someone who got an apprenticeship with BMW at the factory where the make Minis, I tried to get on one but couldn’t but seems to be a good way to make money if you can do factory work, he doesnt work on the lines though. once in a blue moon he will if they are short staffed

                                      #1221078
                                      DaftFader
                                      Participant

                                        you got plenty of time to work throught out your life … don’t do what i did and fuck off all my education only to wish i hadn’t years later …. get as educated as u can whilst it’s free cos once you get over 18 u have to pay for it all and makes it harder to do if it’s costing you to learn and you have to work to pay that off later on in life …

                                        #1221079
                                        DaftFader
                                        Participant

                                          yeah aprentaships are good … you get paid to learn and have a job when you come out the otehr end …. i also fucked of a very good aprentaship when i was about 18 and in last few years have started to really regret it!

                                          #1221072
                                          MisterDuck
                                          Participant

                                            its completely your choice mate

                                            although i dropped out of college soon after starting, got a full-time job i hated earnin ยฃ3.50 an hour (then ยฃ4.77 when i was 18) and was fucked around by bosses etc. an generally it took the piss

                                            after a year of that soul-destroyin monotomous shit, and facing the prospect of doin fuck all but mashin myself up in a whirlwind of low-self esteem each and every night, my brother gave me a hull uni prospectus and there was a foundation award one day a week with no entry requirements

                                            year later i had passed that and it got me into leeds met, lovin it here atm

                                            basically i would say definitely stay in some form of education

                                            #1221093
                                            Clusterfrog
                                            Participant

                                              incidently all my mates who got the highest grades in higher education worked for a few years and then went back into education

                                              nothing like a few years in a shit job to motivate you to do well

                                              #1221081
                                              p0ly
                                              Participant

                                                get a job and go sixth form? =D

                                                #1221094
                                                Clusterfrog
                                                Participant

                                                  i did both fo sho

                                                  #1221095
                                                  olboy
                                                  Participant

                                                    @p0ly 364387 wrote:

                                                    get a job and go sixth form? =D

                                                    LMAO ๐Ÿ˜€

                                                    if there’s only black and white… p0ly is grey. ffs :weee:

                                                    I reckon if you’ve got the smarts to pass a course that is valuable in the “outside world” do it fella. It’ll expand your horizon when it comes to getting a job you enjoy.

                                                    If, however you do film studies A level as your further education, you may as well get on the first rung of the ladder in a company who’s interesting to you instead.

                                                    I did every course at my local college when I left school bar hairdressing, just as a way of avoiding meaningful employment, lol. Hey, it was free then ๐Ÿ˜‰ and I fluked it when I left by falling into a job that had prospects :love:

                                                    Good luck with, what was it? government & politics?

                                                    #1221089
                                                    joshd96320
                                                    Participant

                                                      government & politics: completely shit subject but i had to take another one since everything clashed. im also doin ict & history. i also want to do psychology, physics, maths, philosophy&ethics, but everything clashed..

                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

                                                    Forums The Vibe Chat Education or work?