Forums The Vibe Chat Anyone Ever Bought a Car or a Van?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1047106
    acidmunky
    Participant

    and then discovered its a shitter!!!! dooohhhhh!! have to get another one tommorow!!:hopeless:(this was my face when the bloke at the garage told me)

    #1197511
    Anonymous

    Cant say I have tbh.

    #1197515
    GiantMidget
    Participant

    What’s wrong with your van?

    #1197512
    Anonymous
    photographthesun;321686 wrote:
    Cant say I have tbh.

    It should be noted however that thats becuase Iv never bought a van and I didnt meant to sound quite so grumpy sorry!

    #1197523
    acidmunky
    Participant

    well bought a van on monday for 500 quid, no mot. went to get mot, needs some welding, ok not so bad. then had a look cause didnt start that great(vans often dont) anyway turns out some pump or something is fucked on it and its expensive to fix!! think ill put it on ebay…..

    #1197518
    p0ly
    Participant

    unluckyyyyyy

    #1197516
    GiantMidget
    Participant
    acidmunky;321711 wrote:
    well bought a van on monday for 500 quid, no mot. went to get mot, needs some welding, ok not so bad. then had a look cause didnt start that great(vans often dont) anyway turns out some pump or something is fucked on it and its expensive to fix!! think ill put it on ebay…..

    Shit man not good. :crazy_diz

    #1197514
    globalloon
    Participant

    did you get a reciept? does it say sold as seen? if not you can ask for your money back

    #1197524
    acidmunky
    Participant

    hopefully it may not be as bad as first thought….hopefully!!! ill keep ya posted!!

    #1197519
    AGENT 15
    Participant

    What van is it ? what pump was it?

    #1197517
    Dom_sufc
    Participant

    Live and learn I suppose mate.

    Best way is to offer 80 quid or whatever for HIM to put it through MOT. He knows his motor, if he is confident it will pass he will say yes. If he doesn’t agree then tell him to fuck off.

    #1197525
    acidmunky
    Participant
    AGENT 15;322618 wrote:
    What van is it ? what pump was it?

    it s a escort 1.8 diesel, think its the main fuel pump?? apparently its letting in air an the feul syphines back to the tank. hence difficult to start…. been startin it and i dont think its that bad!! wat u reckon?/

    #1197520
    AGENT 15
    Participant

    Are you getting white smoke out of the exhaust?
    Start simple , check all fuel line connections are tight , check the fuel filter is tight and free from water/leaks there might be a water drain tap on it im not sure twist it untill you can smell diesel if not replace the filter then you know for sure should not be expensive.

    how mech minded are you?
    you could try bleeding the system to make sure its free from air this is a common problem.

    #1197526
    acidmunky
    Participant
    AGENT 15;322758 wrote:
    Are you getting white smoke out of the exhaust?
    Start simple , check all fuel line connections are tight , check the fuel filter is tight and free from water/leaks there might be a water drain tap on it im not sure twist it untill you can smell diesel if not replace the filter then you know for sure should not be expensive.

    how mech minded are you?
    you could try bleeding the system to make sure its free from air this is a common problem.

    my stepdad is good at this sort of thing, ill get him to go through these bits tommorow. no, there is no white smoke from exhaust…:you_crazy. it aint great too start but its livable…just dont want it to pack up a month down the line!!

    #1197521
    AGENT 15
    Participant

    White smoke from the exhaust is a sign that you are burning water either through the fuel system or the head gasket ,gives you a good indicator of where to look ,also if black smoke comes out your burning oil.

    Is the problem only there on a cold start , or does it have trouble starting all the time even after a good run ?

    #1197527
    acidmunky
    Participant
    AGENT 15;322811 wrote:
    White smoke from the exhaust is a sign that you are burning water either through the fuel system or the head gasket ,gives you a good indicator of where to look ,also if black smoke comes out your burning oil.

    Is the problem only there on a cold start , or does it have trouble starting all the time even after a good run ?

    after a good run it starts much better but still not great

    #1197522
    AGENT 15
    Participant

    grrrrr if after checking all that ive said and you still have no joy it will mean a replacing the fuel lift pump . Hopefully it will be one of smaller/cheaper problems to sovle ,hope ive been able to help although not much ;o)

    #1197528
    acidmunky
    Participant

    thanks for the advice- much appreciated!!! when i took it in the garage the bloke said it was fucked!!

    #1197530
    Max Troy
    Participant

    @acidmunky 322895 wrote:

    thanks for the advice- much appreciated!!! when i took it in the garage the bloke said it was fucked!!

    Check this.

    This has happened to me twice. Actually once. Actually, maybe never. Let me explain.

    I haven’t had much need to use a mechanic, but a few times after buying vehicles I’ve taken them to my family mechanic to have them checked over. Each time I’ve done this, my mechanic said they were shagged, and I’d been done over. The first one, a 106, I was told was in a bad way mechanically, that it was essentially a write off. I was confused, as it had over 6 months MOT, and didn’t seem too bad, so I decided to immediately sell it for what I bought it for, and got another car (that was new enough to not need to be checked).
    After that car, I needed a van for my two businesses (drumming, and gardening). I acquired one for cheap, and decided to get it checked. Again, I was told I had been sold a piece of crap by the family mechanic, that it was written off mechanically, and wouldn’t pass it’s next MOT without me spending more for repairs than I had paid for it.

    Again fuming I contacted trading standards etc, as I had purchased this from dealer. Anyway, there was nothing I could do, and I was stuck with the vehicle. That caused me to waste a lot of time and be very stressed. I drove it for as long as I could with the remaining few months MOT. When this ran out I decided to take it to another mechanic to have the MOT done, suspecting the family mechanic wasn’t so family. I expected it to be a grim day. It was not. To my utter surprise I returned to the garage with a clean bill of health, and a new 1 years MOT certificate. Nothing was wrong with it. I didn’t have to pay for ONE thing to be done for it to pass MOT.

    #1197529
    acidmunky
    Participant

    ill let u know the outcome, gettin it moted in the next couple of days

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums The Vibe Chat Anyone Ever Bought a Car or a Van?