Forums Web Site Your Feedback, Questions & Suggestions Pirates have stolen the search bar..

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Dr Bunsen May 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1055900
    Avatar
    Deez
    Participant

    Bastards. Now its difficult to find reccuring threads such as ask anything/happy/rant etc.

    #1273522
    Avatar
    season.
    Participant

    Yarrrr Ye can swab the poop deck, but ye can’t poop on the swab deck.

    #1273523
    Avatar
    pyross.
    Participant
    #1273513
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator

    @season. 547325 wrote:

    Yarrrr Ye can swab the poop deck, but ye can’t poop on the swab deck.

    no, normal sailors must go to the heads (which are at the head of the ship, so the pong goes downwind). One some craft the captain had his own private loo at the quarter deck.

    On modern vessels sailors of all ranks usually share the facilities (usually not all at the same time, even in today tolerant and non judgemental society good watchkeeping comes first or they might crash into a large container ship and all end up at Davy Jones locker for their sins.) Often they aren’t that easy to flush and a mistake can even result in the contents being discharged back into the vessel, so for number 1’s it was common to piss over the side of the ship. There are two sides to a ship, the windward side, and the leeward (or looward) side. Of course pissing into the wind isn’t a good idea, so sailors would use the looward side, which is one reason in Britain we call our toilet the loo.

    #1273514
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator

    @DeezNuts 547324 wrote:

    Bastards. Now its difficult to find reccuring threads such as ask anything/happy/rant etc.

    PS: I see no pirates (and I have put in my contact lenses), either they have sailed up the Thames whilst the fed are trying to stop EDL versus “muslamic” folks kicking off, or you mean the change to a Google Custom Search. If there is anything you really think should not be happening on the site please let us know..

    #1273520
    Avatar
    MC G-Tek
    Participant

    @General Lighting 547333 wrote:

    PS: I see no pirates (and I have put in my contact lenses), either they have sailed up the Thames whilst the fed are trying to stop EDL versus “muslamic” folks kicking off, or you mean the change to a Google Custom Search. If there is anything you really think should not be happening on the site please let us know..

    I fart on Google Custom Searches! Bring back the searchbar forthwith! I would try and look for it, but there’s no search bar to try and find it with – it’s the net equivalent of losing your phone and not being able to call it to find out where it is cos you’ve lost your phone!

    Everything that was here when I first joined this site seems to be being phased out. Next thing there’ll be a removal of any mention of parties, vibes, or radios from threads and we’ll start the transition to being the internet’s no. 1 goose-trading website! Progress? I fart on that too!

    #1273515
    Avatar
    General Lighting
    Moderator

    @MC G-Tek 547343 wrote:

    I fart on Google Custom Searches! Bring back the searchbar forthwith! I would try and look for it, but there’s no search bar to try and find it with – it’s the net equivalent of losing your phone and not being able to call it to find out where it is cos you’ve lost your phone![/quote]

    I think this got changed because there is a lag between posts being able to be searched locally (this is to stop the part of the server that makes everything work getting overloaded and making the forum slow) and google search is in fact faster. psycross posted a link to the old search facility, which at present still works.

    Quote:
    we’ll start the transition to being the internet’s no. 1 goose-trading website! Progress? I fart on that too!

    my mates have got about 14 Embdens on the farm, they’ve only just hatched but in a few months they probably will be wanting to sell some of them :laugh_at:

    #1273524
    Avatar
    pyross.
    Participant

    @General Lighting 547344 wrote:

    I think this got changed because there is a lag between posts being able to be searched locally (this is to stop the part of the server that makes everything work getting overloaded and making the forum slow) and google search is in fact faster. psycross posted a link to the old search facility, which at present still works.

    Is the old search facility gonna be completely phased out then? :hopeless:

    #1273516
    Avatar
    sinner69
    Participant

    I’m happy that it is gone, now i can use all the drop down menues on my iPad.

    #1273518
    Avatar
    Pat McDonald
    Participant

    No pay ransom – no search bar.

    That’s how piracy works, me hearty!

    I am a very reasonably priced middleman in these sort of affairs, and if you want my rate card I’ll message it to you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    #1273521
    Avatar
    MC G-Tek
    Participant

    @General Lighting 547344 wrote:

    my mates have got about 14 Embdens on the farm, they’ve only just hatched but in a few months they probably will be wanting to sell some of them :laugh_at:

    See? I knew it, it’s a conspiracy I tells ya!

    #1273519
    Avatar
    Pat McDonald
    Participant

    Cheapskate! The search bar walks the plank tonight!

    (assuming it’s got feet, of course, we might just have to throw it overboard).

    #1273525
    Avatar
    Dr Bunsen
    Participant

    Click Search on the navbar and there’s a link to our three core searches below Google’s for anyone who prefers to use them. Google is a lot faster and much more accurate. The old search was fucking hopeless…

    #1273526
    Avatar
    Dr Bunsen
    Participant

    And if it fixed a problem for ipad users thats great too. I didnt know that was the case but great…

    #1273517
    Avatar
    leveret
    Participant

    cheers for the maintenance dr.b ! :flowers:
    mind you it’s coming to something when google can index the site faster than a local server ! but short of running a local copy of hadoop, as an admin i can understand the trade offs ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar